First it was cupcakes, then Rice Krispies treats and donuts, too. Next up on my approved-dessert-trends roster: whoopie pies. Father’s Day is the perfect excuse to get in on this trend and Batter & Cream, an online specialty whoopie pie bakery, makes it easy with this whoopie pie recipe that Cool Mom Picks has got exclusively for you. And this is no ordinary whoopie pie recipe my friends–this is their Chocolate Stout Ganache Whoopie Pie with Peanuts, which sounds perfect for Father’s Day, don’t you think?
Or you know, any day.
Chocolate Stout Whoopie Pie with Peanuts
(printed with permission)
Makes 12-14 whoopie pies
For the Cakes:
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temp
½ cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1/8 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup buttermilk
¼ cup stout
2 oz. semisweet chocolate (60%-64%), melted over double boiler and cooled
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Place butter and sugar in a mixer bowl with paddle attachment. Cream together for 5 minutes on speed 3, or until fluffy.
3. Drizzle in the eggs and vanilla while the paddle is still running on speed 2. Scrape as needed with rubber spatula.
4. Sift dry ingredients together. Add half of the dry ingredients into the bowl and turn the mixer back on until flour is incorporated. Stop and scrape. Pour in buttermilk while the mixer is moving. Stop and scrape. Add in remaining flour, followed by the stout.
5. Quickly add in the melted, cooled chocolate and mix on speed two until just incorporated.
7. Drop the batter by the teaspoon onto prepared baking sheets. With the back of a spoon, spread batter into 1-inch circles, leaving approximately 2 inches between each cake.
8. Bake for 12 minutes, until set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
For the Whoopie Pie filling:
8 oz. mascarpone, at room temperature
¼ cup powdered sugar
2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
4 tablespoons stout
¼ cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together mascarpone and powdered sugar until powdered sugar is dissolved. Do not overbeat or the mascarpone will “break.” Add in chocolate, followed by stout, and mix gently until combined.
2. Scoop filling into a piping bag, with a decorative tip. Pipe onto whooopie pies, adding in peanuts as garnish around the sides, and sandwich together.
Or if you’re not up to the task of making your own, Batter & Cream serves up all-natural baked goods in both classic and seasonal flavors then delivers them to you. Like with any artisanal bakery worth its salt–or, um, sugar–they offer kid favorites right alongside some seriously grown-up varieties. There’s Cookies and Cream, Funfetti, Lemon Sage and Strawberry Basil. The ones that particularly sound great for the dads I know: Cafe Au Lait, Banana and Salted Caramel, and Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pretzel. Yum.
And that “yum” is not rhetorical. My family and I (including Dad!) had a chance to try the Batter & Cream mini whoopie pies, and they passed with flying colors. Delicious and, if you ask me, the perfect two-bite size. But hey, if you can’t choose you can always mix and match a bundle of five and have it shipped.
Make your own or let them do it for you. Either way, Dad gets a treat that you get to share.
Visit Batter & Cream, a gourmet whoopie pie bakery that delivers! If you’re not in the NYC area to pick them up, just know you’ll be paying $18 or more for FedEx two-day delivery so be sure to order plenty and make it worth your while.