Do you let your kid walk to school alone? Or to the park? Or to the neighbor’s house to play? But more importantly, have you ever let your kid go out alone…and lied about it for fear of repercussion? Today on the latest Episode of Spawned, Kristen and Liz have a lively discussion about just what the heck is going on in today’s world. Has “it takes a village” given way to “it takes a village of paranoid strangers with CPS on speed dial?” And who the heck is writing all these playground safety rules these days?
Clearly this one gets us riled up!
Also, we’re talking about Kim Cattrall’s controversial statement this week that you can be a mom without being a mother. We bet you’ll all have some strong thoughts on that topic.
You can listen right here, or just subscribe to Spawned on iTunes and listen in the Podcast app that comes totally free with your iOS device.
Links from SPAWNED Episode 15
–The original interview on BBC radio, and her explanation
– Melanie Notkin’s Savvy Auntie website in support of devoted aunts.
– The world has changed: Walking to school alone is the last parenting taboo.
– Parents arrested for letting their children walk or play alone:Debra Harrell let her 9-year-old play in a park alone in South Carolina. Nicole Gainey was arrested for letting her 7-year-old go to the park alone in Florida. Danielle and Raffi Meitiv were arrested for letting their children walk to the park alone in Maryland.
– Maryland officials dropped charges, and made a statement that children playing or walking alone outdoors is not neglect.
– UNH study says it’s become a safer world since the mid 1990’s.
-The world’s most hilarious playground safety rules
Kristen’s Cool Pick of the Week: Bite Beauty Cashmere Lip Cream at Sephora
Also check out the new Panoply podcast, Getting In, about college admissions. (You probably heard the promo at the top of our show.)
And hey have you left us a review or rating yet? If you like our show, we’d be so grateful! It helps other people find our podcast, and well, it just makes us happy. (And psst..thanks to all of you who already have. We lurve you.)