Okay so yeah. The Starbucks red cup controversy. We just couldn’t help but weigh in on whether we approve of Satan’s own minimalist design on this week’s Spawned with Kristen and Liz. Then we talk about raising kids in a world that’s so obsessed with beauty and image. How do we talk to them about makeup, retouching school photos, Instagram trickery, self-esteem and other tough questions? Plus, we’ve got two very cool, and very different, cool picks of the week.
You can listen via SoundCloud right now (why wait?), or just subscribe to Spawned on iTunes and listen in the Podcast app that comes totally free with your iOS device.
(Blue and black — or is it white and gold? — Starbucks cups by imgur user OCDRUM)
Links from SPAWNED Episode 23
– Liz’s reaction to the Starbucks red cup controversy: #JesusDiedForYourLattes
– Andrew J. Garcia weighs in on the Starbucks red cup controversy on Twitter.
– Donald Trump’s thoughts, encouraging people to boycott Starbucks, and stating that if he becomes President, he’ll mandate that all stores say “Merry Christmas.”
– Kristen’s suggestion to recapture the true meaning of Christmas.
– Hilarious Starbucks red cup memes. Oh Internet. We love you.– Before Essena O’Neill quit social media, she first edited her Instagram captions to better reflect the reality behind her “perfect” photos.
– Liz’s post entitled “Retouching Childhood” about how school photographers offer the option to have photos dramatically retouched.
– Digital artist Molly Soda believes the art of the selfie is about being unvarnished.
– Kate Winslet has added a no-retouching clause to her contract. Go Kate!
– Good read: NY Times Op-Ed by Julia Baird “Being Dishonest about Ugliness,”
– Wonder by R. J. Palacio, a past Cool Pick of the Week which is applicable to this week’s topic of beauty standards.
– The Beauty of Different by our friend Karen Walrond, about how “flaws” can make someone pleasurably unique.
Liz’s Cool Pick of the Week: Alien Artisan’s Wars on Kinkade on Deviant Art.
Kristen’s Cool Pick of the Week: Ginette NY jewelry
And hey have you left us a review or rating yet? If you like our show, we’d be so grateful! It helps other people find our podcast, and well, it just makes us happy. (And psst..thanks to all of you who already have. You’re our favorites!)