We can’t believe after all these episodes of Spawned, we’ve never had the chance to chat with Jenny Lawson. A.K.A. The Bloggess. A.K.A. the best-selling author. A.K.A. new indie bookshop owner. A.K.A. the woman who first left a comment on Liz’s blog comparing her to a porn star (only from the neck up!) which is how they first became friends years ago.
Well now, here she is. And we’re so happy about it.
Photo: Laura Mayes
Tune in for a candid, engaging, and extremely helpful conversation about mental health — none of which will surprise you if you know Jenny. And since this month is National Depression and Mental Health Screening Month, we hope it inspires you to seek out support if you need it, or maybe for someone you love. Things are tough out there, mamas, we get it.
Some of the things we cover:
– The first time Jenny shared her own struggles with depression and anxiety with her readers, and how it was received
– Jenny’s “confidence wig” (it was a whole thing, and it’s fascinating)
– How we can help destigmatize mental illness
– How to talk to your kids about their days if they struggle with anxiety or depression
– Ways to deal with a partner or spouse when they’re not as supportive as you need them to be
– How Jenny deals with trolls on her site (hint: she’s as compassionate as you think she is, and as funny as you know she is)
– Tips for talking to a new therapist for the first time…and why it’s okay if it’s not a good fit
– Different kinds of therapies and Jenny’s recommended resources if you need help
We really hope you take a listen. As Jenny put it, “Even if you’ve never dealt with mental illness, chances are at some point in your life you will love someone who’s really struggling.”
You can also listen through your favorite podcast app — and please, if you’re a fan, take a few seconds and make sure you’re a Spawned Podcast subscriber so that you never miss an episode. If you have a few moments and can leave us a review too– well that would be extra amazing.
(We’re so thrilled with some of our latest reviews so thank you!)
Be sure to order Jenny’s best-selling books from her own Nowhere Bookshop for signed copies of Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things, and her 2021 release, Broken (In the best Possible Way).
Jenny Recommends These Mental Health Resources:
– The National Suicide Prevention Hotline (800-273-TALK)
– And tip: you can always call your own pediatrician if you need a referral, either for your kids or yourself.
Our Cool Picks of the Week
(And PS if you like the series, Liz suggests you check out the film Life Animated.)
Kristen: We kind of can’t believe it, but she’s recommending clogs. Yes, wooden clogs! Specifically, Lotta from Stockholm Clogs (above), with dozens of styles you can buy right from Amazon or if you prefer, their own Sweden-based Etsy shop.
Liz: If you find your eyeliner or mascara tend to cake in the creases around your eyes, her makeup tip is to use a bit of All Nighter Waterproof Setting Powder from Urban Decay under your eyes. Even you’ve never been a powder person! Grab it at Sephora, Ulta, or a hip cosmetics shop near you.
Cool Mom Picks is a reward style affiliate